Thursday, March 31, 2016

My thoughts on the book Cinder.


Cinder by Marissa Meyer is the first book in the series I am currently obsessed with. I was first attracted to this story because I had heard that it was based on the traditional Cinderella story but with a science fiction twist. I am a huge Disney fan so I picked up the audio copy at the library.

I love how Meyer has taken a traditional fairy tale and kept the basic characters but given it a whole new feeling by making the heroine a cyborg and placing the story in the future. The story was full of action and kept my attention. I was quick to head to the library and pick up the rest of the series to listen to. 

If you enjoy Once Upon a Time or Grimm you will enjoy this series, I highly recommend it.

An exert from Chapter 1:

Sighing, Cinder bent over the toolbox beneath the worktable. After digging through the jumbled mess of screwdrivers and wrenches, she emerged with the fuse puller that had been long buried at the bottom. One by one, she disconnected the wires that still linked her foot and ankle, each spurting a tiny spark. She couldn't feel them through the gloves, but her retina display helpfully informed her with blinking red text that she was losing connection to the limb. 

With a yank of the last wire, her foot clattered to the concrete. 

The difference was instant. For once in her life, she felt . . . weightless. 

She made room for the discarded foot on the table, setting it up like a shrine amid the wrenches and lug nuts, before hunkering over her ankle again and cleaning the grime from the socket with an old rag. 


The book has been placed on the following lists and been a nominee for numerous awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books about body parts, croaking and choking!

I love this book, it is delightfully creepy and gruesome! I read this book as part of the Young Hoosier Book Award Program, it is nomin...