Friday, January 27, 2017

Reader’s Advisory Week 3 Prompts

Reader’s Advisory Week 3 Prompts


1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!


The Lunatic Cafe is the fourth book in the series.  This is based on the information provided in NoveList under series.






2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.


I would recommend you try Anthill by E.O. Wilson. Both books are described as ecoficton and the writing styles is described as lush and lyrical. Anthill’s tone is suspenseful so the pace will be faster and should keep you engaged in the story.




3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!


I am recommending Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. This story is about a young girl sold into slavery to be trained as a geisha. I chose this book because it is described as being richly detailed and was a part of the following booklists.


Booklist Editors' Choice - Best Fiction Books: 1997
New York Times Notable Books - Fiction and Poetry: 1997

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?


I recommend you try The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny, it is a leisurely paced mystery written in a similar way to Elizabeth George’s book. It does not have the gritty, violent characteristics of John Sanford’s books.




5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?


I recommend your husband read Stephen King’s Cell. This zombie apocalypse is triggered by a pulse sent through your cell phone, those not on their phones at the time were not turned but will they manage to survive? You can never go wrong with Stephen King, he made his name writing horror.


6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.


I recommend you read Room by Emily Donoghue.  A five-year-old boy narrates the story about growing up in a single room after his mother was kidnapped as a teenager.  It is a fast paced book, suspenseful book that I think will keep you intrigued.



7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.


I recommend you try author Ted Dekker’s book The Bride Collector. It is a Christian thriller, so it is a clean story but a great read.

I use Goodreads, Amazon, Epic Reads and friends to find new things to read.  I have a very long To Read list on Goodreads that I can always go back to if I am having trouble finding something. I also use Amazon and search by genre based on what I feel like reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books about body parts, croaking and choking!

I love this book, it is delightfully creepy and gruesome! I read this book as part of the Young Hoosier Book Award Program, it is nomin...