Monday, September 12, 2016

Drowned City Hurricane Katrina & New Orleans

9780544157774_p0_v4_s192x300.jpgDrowned City Hurricane Katrina & New Orleans
Written and Illustrated by Don Brown


This is the first graphic novel I have read. It was a very quick read, I enjoyed the graphics a lot. I chose this book because this event meant a lot to me. I am a science teacher and find weather events fascinating. I house sat during this time frame for some friends that are Red Cross volunteers, one of them coordinated relief efforts in the Cajun Dome for a couple months.  


First, I would connect this to fiction readers by marketing to teens that read graphic novels. You could set up a display of graphic nonfiction. I would also make a display  of both weather related fiction and nonfiction in the spring to coincide with storm season and in the fall for hurricane season.

-5853c5f589c46d57.jpg

I would use this book in class as a resource when I cover weather.  I would like to incorporate the use of nonfiction texts in different unit to assist with the understanding of different scientific topics. It is difficult to take field trip to see a hurricane, tornado or even a volcano. It is impossible to instill the sense of panic during a pandemic and the difficulties in deciding to publish scientific findings that religious groups will persecute you for. These are all topics that nonfictions texts could help students understand on a level that a science textbook cannot. This book gives a unique insight to a hurricane and the damage it causes, it would also be a great choice for my students that might struggle or are not interested in reading.
9780544157774-drownedcity_zoom.jpg

Publisher:
HMH Books for Young Readers
Publication Date:
Aug 4, 2015
Recommend Age:
12 - 17
Lexile:
GN920L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books about body parts, croaking and choking!

I love this book, it is delightfully creepy and gruesome! I read this book as part of the Young Hoosier Book Award Program, it is nomin...